Wednesday 4 May 2016

4th May 2016 Burra

On leaving Unst there was no sign of the drake Surf Scoter off Belmont although around 80 Long-tailed Ducks were nice. MSC kindly gave me precise directions to find the location of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak on Burra and helpfully told me it was occasionally singing. I arrived mid-afternoon with the weather deteriorating. I found two feeders but neither was playing host to the Grosbeak. On hearing a Blackbird-like song I eventually located it sat low in an elder sheltered from the worst of the wind and light rain by a stone wall. In 90 minutes it made a single brief visit to the feeder but soon returned to its favoured elder. I was briefly joined by Logan and left the Grosbeak still occasionally singing despite the deteriorating weather. Boarded the overnight ferry back to Aberdeen that was unpleasant due to the rough sea!

Long-tailed Duck c.80
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 first-summer male

First-summer male Rose-breasted Grosbeak on Burra