Tuesday 28 March 2017

28th March 2017 Unst & Yell NE3

I seawatched for an hour from dawn but I was completely outclassed by Beachy! I saw 3 blue Fulmars, 4 Razorbills, 6 Guillemots, a Puffin and 16 Kittiwakes all fly north among the usual large numbers of Gannets and Fulmars. A single Snow Bunting was flying around at the point. On the crossing to Yell c.80 Long-tailed Ducks were seen and there was a Fieldfare at the Windhouse bod and an Iceland Gull at Mid Yell. Whilst driving north back across Unst this evening a small flock of Meadow Pipits were evident at the Heritage Centre and a small passerince caught my eye as it flew across the road and into the garden there - my first Chiffchaff of the Spring!

blue Fulmar passing Lamba Ness

Kittiwakes passing Lamba Ness



Long-tailed Duck from the ferry to Yell


Iceland Gull at Mid Yell

Chiffchaff at the Heritage Centre